Fiery, spicy and zesty, best describes Chicken Kolhapuri. It is one such recipe which tickles the taste buds of people who love spicy food. A complete blend of spiciness and tanginess, this dish has been a big hit everytime I made.
Chicken – 500gms
Red chilli powder – To taste
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Curd – 1 small bowl
Salt – To taste
Kolhapuri Masala (recipe below)
Onion – 3 (sliced)
Ginger – 2 spoon (grated)
Chilli garlic paste – 1/2 cup
Garam Masala powder – 1 tbl spoon
Tomato paste – 2 tbl spoon
Kasuri methi – 2 teaspoon
For Kolhapuri masala – (Dry roast )
Kashmiri red chilli – 6-7
Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon
Dry grated coconut – 2 teaspoon
1. Dry roast all the ingredients for Kolhapuri masala and make a fine powder.
2. In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients mentioned under marination.
3. Marinate for atleast 2 hours ( I kept it overnight in refrigerator)
4. For gravy, heat oil in a kadhai or pressure cooker. Add sliced onion and fry till translucent.
5. Add ginger and chilli garlic paste. Saute till the raw smell is gone. Now, add tomato puree and garam masala powder.
6. Saute till oil seperates. Add the chicken along with the marination and, cook on high flame for 5 minutes.
7. Add crushed kasuri methi and cover with a lid. Cook for 20-25 minutes on medium to low flame.
8. Switch off the flame when chicken is tender and gravy thickens.
You can serve Chicken Kolhapuri with Roti, Naan or Rice.